Wendy came up with an idea for a blog post based on music in her iPod, then MCF did his own take on the same idea. I just happened to have made an iTunes playlist yesterday so that I’d have something to listen to on the road to and from Fredericksburg, Texas. Here are sample lyrics from each of the songs in the list. See if you can guess the songs and the artists before clicking the links for the answer. (I knew two of Wendy’s ten songs, and one of MCF’s 20.)
- I bet there’s rich folk eatin’ in a fancy dining car.
They’re prob’ly drinkin’ coffee and smokin’ big cigars
- Oh his knees are-a gettin’ chilly
But he feels no fear or pain
‘Cause he sees an angel peepin’
Through a broken window-pane
- I’d buy you some art
(a Picasso or a Garfunkel)
- Si tuvieras fe como grano de mostaza
Eso lo dice el Senor
Tu le dirias a la montana
Esa montana se movera, se movera, se movera
(Those are actually all the lyrics in the entire song, but it absolutely rocks. It’s one of the few songs in the world that makes me want to dance.)
- At times life is wicked and I just can’t see the light
A silver lining sometimes isn’t enough
To make some wrongs seem right
- Whereâ€™s the mini-skirt made of snake skin,
and whoâ€™s the other guy singing in Van Halen?
- All the heroes and legends I knew as a child have fallen to idols of clay
And I feel this empty place inside so afraid that Ive lost my faith
- When they said you was high classed,
Well, that was just a lie.
You ain’t never caught a rabbit
And you aint no friend of mine.
- I thrill when I drill a bicuspid
It’s swell though they tell me I’m maladjusted
- When that love comes down
Well it takes a strong man baby
But I’m showing you the door
- God tells Gabriel behind the altar
“Pick up your trumpet and begin to blow it”
(I can’t find lyrics to this song anywhere, but here’s the album and here’s a sound clip.)
- Did you ever feel unwanted
Kicked around so much you’re taunted
Heart cries out with so much pain
Well that’s the way l feel
- Blue! Blue! They sky is blue!
The grass is green and your heart is true
(Again, I find no lyrics for this online, but you can hear it on the band’s web site.)
- Si el espiritu de Dios esta en mi corazon
Yo danzo como David
Oh Yo danzo, Yo danzo, Yo danzo
- Wanna be ready, gotta be ready
To fly away to my home
My house is in order, my faith holdin’ steady
I’ll fly away to my home
(I’m starting to think I listen to some horribly obscure music, because I can’t find online lyrics for this, either. You can see the album, and listen to a Real Media clip.)
- D’ja hear ’bout Louie Miller? He done disappeared, dear
After drawin’ out all his hard-earned cash
And now MacHeath spends just like a sailor
Could it be our boy’s done somethin’ rash?
(And yes, I’m listening to that artist’s version rather than the original.)
- In tales of ancient glory,
Every knight and maiden fair
shall be joined when the quest is over,
And a kiss is the oath that they swear.